Good morning! You know those Saturday mornings when you finally get a chance to sleep in and then you wrap up in a big fluffy robe and slide on your slippers and gleefully realize its just you, your husband and your dog and that you’ve all got nothing but time? Time to make waffles that is. Well on those perfect Saturday mornings, these are my go to.
These waffles with their fluffiness and sweetness seem like such a guilty pleasure, but they are secretly pretty dang good for ya. I’ve been using spelt flour a lot lately because I really like the texture and color and besides, spelt has just as much protein as whole wheat flour, along with a host of vitamins and minerals. I’ll add on toppings depending on what’s in my pantry and what suits my fancy 🙂 R’s favorite topping is clearly strawberries, so they make it into the mix quite a bit.
- 1 cup spelt flour
- 1/2 t salt
- 2 t baking powder
- 1 T maple syrup
- 3 T melted coconut oil
- 3/4 cup room temperature plain soymilk
- 1/2 t vanilla extract
- 1 flax egg (1 T ground flax + 3 T water, sit 10 minutes)
optional toppings: strawberries, bananas, blueberries, whipped coconut cream, unsweetened shredded coconut, walnuts, maple syrup, dairy-free chocolate chips
Makes 4 waffles.
1. In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, salt and baking powder.
2. In a medium mixing bowl, combine soymilk, vanilla, flax egg, maple syrup and coconut oil (add the melted coconut oil last because it will start to solidify if it sits with the other cooler ingredients).
3. Add wet to dry and stir to combine.
4. Heat and spray both sides of your waffle maker and pour 1/4 of the batter on at a time.
5. Top waffles with desired toppings and enjoy the beginning of your perfect Saturday!
This morning is looking like one of those lazy Saturdays that I love so much. However, I did not make the waffles because we have plans for a big ol’ lunch. We’re going to Nuevo Laredo which has, in our humble opinion, the tastiest and most authentic mexican food in Atlanta. As much as I would have loved to stuff my face this morning with waffles, I’m holding out for some fresh guac! Instead, I made us no-sweetener-added chocolate chip walnut banana muffins with a side of strawberries. Hey, I didn’t say I was going to skip breakfast altogether, just you
know, slightly less indulgent. Plus, we’re planning to take Monty on a hike this afternoon, and these muffins will make a great mid-hike mid-afternoon snack!