This jam was inspired by something my grandmother used to make. It was such a sweet and delicious treat but was as simple as mashing strawberries and adding sugar. We’d eat it right out of the container it was made in, and it was the perfect light and simple treat to enjoy in the summertime. I decided to add basil to this jam because 1. I strive to add veggies to everything (obvi) and 2. our signature drink at our wedding reception was a strawberry basil martini 🙂 This jam is very lightly sweetened, so if you want/are expecting sugary jam, then add some more agave. I prefer to just let the strawberry and basil flavors shine, slather it on some crusty toast, and enjoy!
Strawberry Basil No Sugar No Cooking Jam
- 2 cups hulled strawberries (about 20 strawberries)
- 1 T lemon juice
- 1 T finely packed chopped basil
- 1 T chia seeds
- 1 T agave
1. Use a potato masher to smash strawberries. They should still be slightly chunky.
2. Add the rest of the ingredients and stir to combine.
3. Refrigerate overnight so that chia seeds will have time to thicken the mixture into a jam.