You didn’t think I forgot about Monty on Valentine’s Day, did you?? I would never! In fact, he made out like a bandit, with a batch of cookies that he’s been chippin’ away at over the past ten days. I made these cookies star-shaped because Monty is a star. And because I don’t have a heart-shaped cookie cutter. Beet juice was used to dye the icing pink to make these more Valentine’s appropriate 🙂
If your dog is a dog, he loovvees peanut butter. What better way to show your dog you love them than a double peanut butter cookie?! These treats are quick and easy for you and healthy for your pup. Store them in an airtight container in the frig for up to two weeks. Makes 12 cookies.
Peanut Butter Dog Cookies with Peanut Butter Icing
- 1.5 Cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 cup no-chicken broth
For the icing:
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 1 T beet juice (I used reserved water left in the pot from boiling beets. You could also use actual beet juice but the color will be more concentrated. Add more or less beet water/juice to get your desired color)
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
3. Melt 1/2 cup peanut butter in microwave.
4. Combine flour, broth, and peanut butter in a mixing bowl until a dough forms.
5. Lightly flour a clean surface and roll out dough with a floured pin, so that it is about 1/4 inch thick.
6. Cut dough into desired shapes and transfer to baking sheet.
7. Bake 12 minutes until golden.
8. Add beet water to peanut butter to get desired color.
9. Allow cookies to completely cool before applying peanut butter or the icing will melt.
10. Spread a thin layer of peanut butter on each cookie.
Because Monty hasn’t made an appearance on the blog in a while, here’s some of his latest glamour shots…