To me, the next best thing to a dessert made with veggies is a dessert made with fruit. Not only do I enjoy the taste of fruits and veggies, but when I use them in desserts, I like knowing that I am getting some nutritious ingredients with my sweets – and then I can eat more of it too! This crumble is sweet, warm, and comforting, making it the perfect cooler-weather dessert. The apples end up tender and covered in a gooey sauce, and the crumble adds texture and a hint of saltiness.
For the apple mixture:
- 3 green apples, chopped into small chunks
- 1/4 cup light agave
- 1 t cinnamon
- 1 T packed tangelo zest (orange zest will work too)
- 2 T tangelo juice (or orange juice)
- 1/4 cup packed walnuts, chopped
For the crumble:
- 1 cup walnuts
- 5 graham crackers (5 of the large squares that break into 4 pieces each. I used Nabisco brand – check your brand to make sure it is vegan. Once ground, you should have 1/2 cup).
- 1/8 t salt
- 1/2 t cinnamon
- 2 T melted earth balance non-dairy butter
1. Preheat oven to 350 and spray an 8 inch round baking dish with cooking spray.
2. In baking dish, combine all of the apple mixture ingredients and stir to combine.
3. Put apple mixture into the oven and bake 15 min.
4. While apple mixture bakes, prepare your crust.
5. Process walnuts and graham crackers until finely ground.
6. To walnuts and graham crackers, add salt and cinnamon and stir to combine.
7. Pour in melted earth balance and stir to combine.
8. Use your hands to press the crumble together so it sticks in clumps.
9. After apple mixture bakes, remove from oven and use your hands to sprinkle all of the crumble on top.
10. Return baking dish to oven and bake for 20 additional minutes.
11. Let cool for 10 minutes. Eat while warm and adding a scoop of ice cream is
always optional! 🙂 Enjoy!