So it’s safe to say that I’ve been on a butternut squash kick lately – I’ve been putting it in soups, salads, and roasting it and eating it all by itself! I just love the smooth and sweet but savory flavor. Yesterday, I shared my favorite recipe using butternut squash in a dessert (butternut squash brownies). Here’s my favorite recipe using butternut squash in an entree – butternut squash burritos. There are so many nutritious ingredients in this recipe and it is so tasty! It’s perfect for a weeknight because the entire meal can be put together in about 20 minutes. Makes 4 burritos.
Butternut Squash Burritos with Creamy Lime Sauce
For the Burritos:
1 butternut squash, cut in half lengthwise
1/3 cup cilantro, chopped
2 Roma tomatoes, sliced into rounds then quartered
1/2 t garlic powder
salt and pepper
15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 ripe avocado, diced into small chunks
4 9-inch whole wheat tortilla wraps
For the Sauce:
1/4 cup veganaise
Juice of 1/2 lime
1/8 t salt
1. Scoop seeds out of squash and spray cut side of each half with cooking spray.
2. Place squash halves cut side down on a microwave safe dish and microwave 14 minutes until squash is soft and flesh is cooked.
3. Prepare tomatoes, cilantro, avocado and black beans.
4. To make the sauce, combine veganaise, lime juice, and 1/8 t salt and stir to combine.
5. Once squash is cooked, flip the halves over and sprinkle with garlic powder, salt and pepper.
6. When squash has cooled enough for you to touch, take a spoon and scoop squash flesh from the skin into chunky pieces.
7. Assemble the burritos: Lay each wrap out flat and put one-fourth of each of the fillings on each wrap (I had some leftover black beans that I then added to my dog’s food).
8. Drizzle each burrito with one-fourth of the lime sauce.