These are fudgey wudgey ooey gooey yummy chocolatey crazy good HEALTHY brownies!!! They are seriously delicious and it is mindblowing how healthy they are! I’ve made black bean brownies many times – which don’t get me wrong, I enjoyed – but they are more dense and dry than these brownies made with butternut squash. Plus, the squash is already somewhat sweet so less added sweetener is needed. These brownies are full of veggies and whole wheat, have no sugar, and only 1 T of oil.
Butternut Squash Brownies
- 10 dried dates
- 1/4 cup pure cocoa powder
- 1 cup hot water
- 1/2 of butternut squash (1 cup packed, cooked squash)
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 t salt
- 1/4 t baking soda
- 1 T canola oil
- 1 t vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup light agave
- 1/2 cup vegan dark chocolate chips
1. Soak dates in 1 cup hot water while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
2. Put 1/2 of butternut squash on microwave safe dish and heat in microwave for 7 minutes until squash is soft and cooked.
3. Preheat oven to 350 and spray an 8 inch round baking dish.
4. Once squash is cool enough that you can touch, scoop flesh out of squash.
5. Combine cocoa powder, flour, baking soda and salt in large mixing bowl.
6. Combine canola oil, vanilla, agave, and butternut squash in medium sized bowl.
7. Remove dates from water and reserve the water.
8. Process dates until they are paste-like.
9. Add dates and 1/4 cup of the date water to the wet ingredients and stir until squash is smashed and ingredients are combined.
10. Add wet ingredients to dry and stir until batter is smooth, smushing any butternut squash clumps with your spoon (you don’t want any squash clumps left in batter).
10. Fold in chocolate chips.
11. Pour batter into prepared dish and bake for 28 minutes.
12. Brownies are done when a knife inserted in edge of brownies comes out clean, but when inserted in the middle comes out with a bit of fudginess. This results in firm enough but slightly gooey brownies. If you prefer your brownies to be more well done then cook a few minutes more.
13. If you can bare to wait, let brownies cool 10 min. before slicing.