Greens and citrus for breakfast – you really cant beat it to get your day started off right! This juice is chock full of nutrients from all the greens and the citrus fruits and apple give it a tangy but sweet taste. Who knew drinking veggies could be so delicious?! Juicing is not an exact science, so I normally eyeball my ingredients. My advice is to not waste time measuring out each ingredient, just take your best guess and go ahead and throw it all in there. I promise it will still taste good!
Green Citrusade Juice
- 1/2 grapefruit peeled
- 1/2 lemon peeled
- 1/2 lime peeled
- 1.5 cups spinach
- 1/2 cucumber
- 1 golden delicious apple cored and sliced
- 3/4 cup beet greens
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- 1/4 cup parsley
Cut grapefruit, lemon, lime, and apple into small enough pieces to feed into your juicer. Throw all ingredients into the juicer, pour juice into a large glass and enjoy!
Tip for using leftover pulp: I mix in some of the leftover pulp with my dog’s food or just give it to him as a snack. I frequently give him the pulp from cucumbers, beets, and carrots and he gobbles it up!
After making this juice, I wanted to figure out a quick and easy way to use the other half of the grapefruit. I made this salad which was perfect for a light but filling, healthy lunch. Makes large salad for one person or side salad for 2.
Grapefruit, Avocado and Pumpkin Seed Salad
- 2-3 cups spinach
- 1/2 avocado diced
- 1/2 grapefruit, peeled, skins removed, and diced into bite-size pieces
- 1.5 T roasted pumpkin seeds
- dash of sugar
- 2 T canola oil
- 1/2 t mustard powder
- 1/4 t powdered ginger
- 1/4 t salt
1. To roast pumpkin seeds, preheat oven to 350. Cover baking pan with aluminum foil and spray with cooking spray, spread seeds on pan, spray seeds with baking spray, sprinkle with salt, and roast for 7 – 10 min checking frequently until they start to brown.
2. Heat pan on stove to medium heat and spray with cooking spray.
3. Sprinkle grapefruit with sugar and transfer to hot pan.
4. Saute grapefruit for approximately 5 min.
5. Mix dressing ingredients and stir until combined.
6. Combine salad ingredients, add dressing, and toss to combine.